By: Data Foundation
Event Date: 10/19/21
Event Time: 2:00 pm EDT
Visit event website »
Any reasoned debate on firearms policy requires a widely shared set of facts. Unfortunately, a lack of objective and transparent data infrastructure has made it all too difficult to assemble those facts. That’s why the webinar hosts a keynote from Representative Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-VA) and two panels that will discuss the recommendations from the NORC Expert Panel on Firearms Data Infrastructure’s and its Blueprint for a US Firearms Data Infrastructure.
Two panels will discuss:
The Role of Data and Evidence in 21st Century Policymaking
This panel will describe changes in the role of data and evidence in federal policymaking.
- Nick Hart, President, Data Foundation
- Nancy Potok, CEO, NAPx Consulting, Former Chief Statistician of the United States
- Walter Katz, Vice President of Criminal Justice, Arnold Ventures
- John Roman, Senior Fellow, NORC/National Prevention Science Coalition
Gaps in the US Firearms Data Infrastructure and How to Fix Them
This panel will examine the strengths and limitations of existing data collections around firearms injury and violence in public health and criminal justice.
- Cathy Barber, Senior Researcher, Harvard School of Public Health’s Injury Research Center
- Philip Cook, ITT/Sanford Professor Emeritus of Public Policy and Professor Emeritus of Economics at Duke University
- Steve Marshall, Professor of epidemiology in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health and director of the UNC Injury Prevention Research Centre
- Susan Parker, Ph.D. Candidate, University of Michigan School of Public Health