Job Application Due Date: 11/30/20
Hiring Company/Organization: Sharp Insight, LLC
About Sharp Insight, LLC
Sharp Insight, LLC is an evaluation and capacity building firm that supports mission-driven organizations in measuring and strengthening their impact. They specialize in making data more meaningful for their clients, with the ultimate goal of improving outcomes for children, schools, and communities.
Want to use your evaluation talents to benefit mission-driven organizations?
Sharp Insight is seeking a part-time Evaluation Associate to support a wide range of activities. The Evaluation Associate would engage directly with clients on evaluation projects, most of which are currently based in the Greater Washington DC region. The ideal candidate would be knowledgeable and passionate about the field of evaluation, specifically in the non-profit, public health, and/or education sectors. Key areas of focus, as outlined below, include program evaluation, data communication and reporting, project management, and team contribution. The anticipated commitment for this position averages 20 hours per week.
Compensation and Benefits
- At Sharp Insight, compensation is based on hours worked and, as such, bi-weekly pay will vary. The Evaluation Associate’s starting hourly compensation ranges from $36 to $40, commensurate with experience.
- Following a positive 90-day review, employees are eligible for various stipends, including professional development, association membership, technology, and office supplies.
- Sharp Insight offers paid holiday hours. Sharp Insight also offers paid time off (PTO) which increases based on years of service.
- After one year of employment, employees are eligible: to enroll in a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 2% employer contribution; for Paid Family Leave (PFL); and for unpaid leave.
- Health insurance benefits are not currently offered through Sharp Insight, LLC.
- The Associate’s day-to-day assignments will include a wide range of tasks such as: evaluation plan development, survey/instrument design, in-depth interviews, focus groups, data analysis, data visualization, and/or evaluation reporting/presentation of findings. This position requires strong analytical, writing, and speaking abilities to determine and communicate findings accurately and comprehensively.
Data Communication and Reporting
- The Evaluation Associate will excel at making data make sense! This includes applying analytic skills to clarify information from raw data and then explain findings to multiple audiences within the non-profit, public health, and/or public policy sectors. While writing is the primary skill needed, related assignments may include a variety of data visualizations (e.g. tables, charts). The Evaluation Associate will be able to share findings accurately and effectively from multiple data sources in a way that clearly communicates technical topics and findings.
- The Evaluation Associate must demonstrate the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects – from the initial planning phase to the delivery of findings. As the lead contact for clients, the Evaluation Associate is responsible for fulfilling a full range of client needs, including running meetings and adhering to deadlines. Given that most of the assignments will be completed remotely, the ideal Evaluation Associate will be a self-starter and a highly responsive communicator.
- At Sharp Insight, they have a small, dedicated team. They connect and collaborate regularly to support high-quality client engagements and advance our internal annual priorities. In addition to ongoing virtual communication, the Evaluation Associate will participate in weekly video meetings and (one day following COVID-19!) monthly, in-person meetings in support of professional development, annual priorities, and team connection.
- Advanced degree (e.g. MPH, MPP, MPA, M.Ed., DrPh, PhD) Note: Candidates currently pursuing an advanced degree may apply to Sharp Insight as an Evaluation Assistant, with potential for advancement to an Associate role upon graduation.
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Strong writing skills across multiple formats (e.g., technical writing, summary documents, email)
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Effective oral communication skills
- Relationship building skills that support strong, trusting partnerships with colleagues and clients
- Demonstrated ability working with qualitative and/or quantitative data
- Strong general computing skills in Microsoft Office
- Nonprofit organizations and/or nonprofit monitoring and evaluation
- Youth out-of-school time (OST) programs, program evaluation, and/or program quality
- Virtual work environments, including effective independent work and engagement with a team
- Statistical software (R, SAS, SPSS)
- Data management systems (ETO, Salesforce)
- Data visualization
- World language skills
Authorizations, Location, & Supplies
Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States. A background check will be completed prior to hiring. The primary worksite is offsite/remote, with regularly scheduled phone and/or video meetings. During the COVID-19 stay-at-home orders in effect for Sharp Insight’s main operating address in Montgomery County, MD, no travel will occur. Should that guidance change, there may be occasional travel to Kensington, MD, and client sites within the greater Washington, DC region. As such, preference will be given to candidates based in the greater Washington, DC region. Candidates must have computer access with a reliable internet connection.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Sharp Insight, they are committed to equity and inclusion for their team, clients, and the communities they serve. They are intentionally committed to practicing culturally responsive evaluation and working as a team to learn to confront the systemic inequities.
Sharp Insight provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state and local laws. Sharp Insight is committed to creating a dynamic team that values collaboration, intellectual curiosity, creativity, and diversity.
How To Apply
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Evaluation Associate” and the following attachments. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- A cover letter that clearly demonstrates how your experience aligns with the position’s requirements and preferred skills. Please address why you are specifically interested in working at Sharp Insight and in this role. You may choose to share this information in any format you prefer (e.g., paragraph, bullet, infographic, table).
- Your resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Two writing samples that are reflective of your original work, ideally showcasing two distinct styles (e.g., a manuscript and a slide deck; an infographic and a written report)
Applications are due November 30, 2020.